From the time of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) to his rightly guided Caliphs to the Ottoman empire, the tradition of coexistence with other faiths has been passed down from generation to generation to these days. The idea that non-Muslims living in predominantly Muslims countries are persecuted is far from the truth.
In fact, many non-Muslim sites of worship thrive in majority dominated Muslim countries. And here is a fun fact, several of these churches, synagogues and temples have been renovated by Muslims. Check out these 15 beautiful churches and synagogues in predominantly Muslim countries.
1. Basilica of Our Lady of Peace in Yamoussoukro, Ivory Coast
2. The Algazi Synagogue in Izmir, Turkey
3. El Ghriba Synagogue in Tunisia
4. The Synagogue of Kef in Tunisia
5. The Neve Shalom Synagogue in Istanbul, Turkey
© The Times of Israel
6. St Mark’s Cathedral In Cairo, Egypt
© The Library of Congress
7. The Gracanica Monastery in Kosovo
8. The Cathedral Sacre-Coeur in Casablanca, Morocco
9. St Anthony of Padua Church in Istanbul, Turkey
10. The Patriarchal Basilica of St. George in Fenerbahçe, Turkey
11. St Nicholas Orthodox Church in Aktobe City, Kazakhstan
12. The National Church of Nigeria in Abuja
13. The Virgin Mary Assyrian Church in Istanbul, Turkey
14. The Church of Saint Benoit in Istanbul, Turkey
15. Our Lady of Victories Cathedral in Dakar, Senegal
Which would you like to visit one day?
Originally published at MVSLIM.